January 17, 2013

Nursery Planning (sorta)

From the beginning, I've said that no matter if we're having a boy or a girl, I'm NOT re-painting the bedroom (which was a guest bedroom)that is being turned into a nursery. The color is staying. I will decorate around that. The end.

I have to say that I have been true to my word! We found out we were having a boy, and I've been working with what I've got since then. I will say though, working around a single paint color can be challenging, if not stifiling, in the design process. If I had my choice, I'd rather pick out my bedding, curtains, and accessories first, and then pick a paint color to coordinate all of it. So, I feel like I'm working backwards.

To remind you, here are a few pictures of the room as a guest bedroom from 2012 - right after the new carpet was installed...




It was at this time that we relocated our guest bedroom furniture to it's new location in the 1st floor bedroom. This upstairs room has remained mostly empty until we knew we were expecting a baby. Since then, we've added a few staple items, including the crib, dresser/changing table, glider rocker, and a bunch of stuff we got for my baby shower. We also added white wood blinds to the windows.

Here is a picture of Joey assembling the crib (and looking annoyed as I snap a picture for memory's sake)...


Our parents bought the crib off our registery from Target. You can see the details here. I wanted a white crib with clean lines and fairly traditional. It's simple and can be used for either gender. Fairly affordable too.

Here it is all set up in its little corner to the left after you walk through the doorway. Crib bedding and all.


I found the crib bedding at a random website and then later found out that places like Target and Babies R Us also sell it. It was cheapest at other websites though. The manufacturer is Skip Hop and the pattern is Mod Dot (seen here). I liked the bedding for a number of reasons. First of all, it was colorful, which I thought made the room feel playful and kid-friendly. It also allows for versatility in colors through out the accessories I use in the rest of the room. I also liked the circular pattern, which is a bit more modern and "boy-ish" feeling to me. But it could be re-used for girl down the road if necessary.

Here's a view of the crib and glider rocker (still in need of a cushion) as you're standing in the doorway. The little brown rocker was Joey's as a little boy. Now it can be used by our little boy. Everyone say Awwww...


On the opposite wall, we put a newly painted dresser (minus the knobs) and it will serve as a changing table and storage for clothes and things. The dresser came from my grammy's farmhouse in Maine. She passed away in the fall and I got this gem from the room we stayed in as kids when visting each year. A constant reminder of her. Everyone say Awwww again....


I owe you more pictures as more progress has been made in the nursery since I took these few. I'll have those ready for you soon. We are also in the middle of a full bathroom remodel (crazy close to baby due date), which has Joey super busy. Pictures on that also coming soon.

Only 5 weeks and 2 days until my due date! So much to do....

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Uh…I’m on the bottom edge of the Baby Boomers and I use “awesome” all the time! Maybe it’s a word that transcends age? Heh, heh! ;o)
    http://indresult.com

    ReplyDelete

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.