May 24, 2011

And The Green Grass Grew All Around, All Around...

Remember that song from childhood? It's the kind of song that gets stuck in your head and you sing it over and over and it never leaves. I have a fond memory of my brother and I singing it really loud together on the school bus in junior high and everyone on the bus grinning and yelling "shut up" when we were done. Anyhoo...

What I want to share with you today are a few snap shots of the green grass that is FINALLY starting to grow in our bare naked yard. A few weeks ago, I shared with you that we were beginning to plant new seed in the yard where we had ripped out plants, bushes, flowers and the like. It looked something like this once Joey had the seed laid everywhere...


We had heard that we should see fast results with the good seed that Joey bought (Scott's EZSeed Turf Builder) and should see some grass sprouting up within a few days. Joey made sure to wet the ground thoroughly when it got dry and follow every instruction by the book, but I don't know if it's the cold-ish weather we've had or the fact that our yard is very shaded in the grass-growing regions, but a week later not a single sprout had come up. Boo.

I got a bit discouraged, and we were beginning to give up hope when a few days later, I came home from work and spotted some grass. Woo Hoo!


This poky new grass finally started showing its head through the soil allowing me to envision what this side of the house will look like with more grassy area...more for Joey to mow, less for me to weed when we plant flowers.

And another week later, it looked even thicker...


...and the areas around the tree trunks are starting to fill in as well...



We're praying for good weather on Memorial Day to do some more yard work and maybe even get a few flowers in the ground. We'll just have to wait and see what mother nature gives us that day! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.