December 22, 2010

The Stockings Were Hung By the Chimney With Care...

Our living room is the most traditionally decorated space in our house when it comes to decorating for the Christmas season. I use mostly reds, greens, and golds to create that special holiday feel each year. And since our living room walls are painted a soft green, these colors coordinate oh so well.

So, I thought I'd share with you a few snapshots of the decorations that have gone up over the past few weeks. Look now because they may not be the same next year!

To start, here is a picture of our fireplace. We have not done anything to spruce it up since moving into the place in July. We have some big plans in store for this thing, but more on that at a later time. For now, you can see our traditional red stockings hung on each side with a little snowflake ornament. And some green garland along the mantel.

Also, if you look on the tile floor in front of the fireplace, you can see a placed a book (The Night Before Christmas) on a stand with a glittery pine cone in front. It adds some color to the lower parts of the room.



In the center of the fireplace, I hammered a little nail into the bottom of the mantle and hung a pretty ornament with gold ribbon. The white ornament stands out nicely against the brick.



In addition to the plain green garland, I added some picks that had red berries on them. They tucked right into the garland. And the red berries coordinate with the red stockings.



Next to the fireplace is our built-in bookcase. I added some holiday touches to these shelves as well - keeping the baskets in place for storage purposes.



On the top shelf, under the clock, I wrapped the garland from the mantle around the shelf and added a few more picks that had pine cones. My mom bought me the beautiful wooden bird sculpture in the middle - it is covered in glistening white snow. So pretty! A pick with a little birds nest sits behind it. And then 2 little red votive candles add a pop of color.



The second shelf contains a stack of Christmas magazines (mostly from PotteryBarn) and a Christmas Tree snow globe on top. I love the brown/bronze and white color scheme of the snow globe - fits the colors of the room so well. And I added some greenery, pine cones, and berries around the magazines.



On the third shelf, I sat my hurricane candle holder - filled with some cinnamon-smelling potpourri. And again some greenery and pine cones around it.



Lastly, the fourth shelf also has a touch of greenery with a green and gold bird figurine sitting in front. I got this little bird at a white elephant gift exchange a few weeks ago. I actually stole it from someone else who had opened it (hee hee). But, hey, it fits my bird theme!



On the living room lamps, I hung bronze snowflakes. Next to the lamp below, I sat a little Santa figurine and green votive candle.



I love that each snowflake ornament is slightly different.



So, there you have it. A sneak peak of our cozy living room. With a roaring fire in the fireplace and candles burning, it's the perfect spot to watch a Christmas movie and drink hot cocoa!




Pssst... If you want to see the wreath I made for the living room a few weeks ago, click here to read about it. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.