November 1, 2010

No Bake Baking

I had planned to write to you about the latest and greatest home project that we've been working on recently, but I needed to do make a desert for a get-together we're attending tomorrow night, and so I didn't have time to put together the information I wanted to.

But then the idea came to me that I would just combine baking and blogging into one item. That way I get done what I need to get done, and I don't feel like I'm ignoring you in the process.

So, please bear with me as the desert I made tonight has probably been made by every one of you reading this blog. And by your mothers (like mine). And by their mothers. And so on forever.

But in case there is one person out there who doesn't have this recipe, I thought I would share it with you now - as every woman (or man for those manly men who cook/bake) should have this in their back pocket.

Name: Chocolate Eclair Desert
Time to make: 30 minutes

Time to chill: 24 hours (great for making the day before you need it)
Servings: 12-15

I like this desert for a few reasons.
  1. It is super easy to make.
  2. It involves no oven-baking
  3. It's fast to put together for those under time restraints
  4. It's a crowd pleaser. (Even for the picky eaters)
Main Ingredients:
  • 1 box Graham Crackers
  • 2 boxes Vanilla instant pudding
  • 3 cups Milk
  • 8 oz. Cool Whip
Chocolate Icing:
  • 2 squares Baker's unsweetened chocolate
  • 3 Tbsp. Butter
  • 3 Tbsp. Milk
  • 2 Tbsp. Karo syrup
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • 1 and 1/2 cups Powered sugar


Step 1: Main Ingredients

Start by dumping 2 regular sized boxes of vanilla instant pudding in a bowl with 3 cups of milk. Whisk for 2 minutes and let sit for another couple minutes for it to pudding-ize.

Yes, I made up the word "pudding-ize".

While the mixture is sitting, line a 9X13 baking pan with graham crackers. Small spaces between crackers are ok.

After adding 8 ounces of cool whip to your pudding mixture and stirring thoroughly, spread 1/2 the mixture onto the first layer of crackers. Be sure to get in the cracks and crevices.

Next, add another layer of graham crackers followed by the remaining 1/2 of pudding mixture.

Last (lastly? is lastly a word?), add the 3rd and final layer of graham crackers on top. This will take you to the top of the pan.

Step 2: Chocolate Icing

Using your double boiler, melt and mix the 2 squares of unsweetened chocolate with the 3 Tablespoons of butter.

Once melted, add the remaining ingredients. I usually add the liquids first (milk, vanilla, Karo syrup) and powdered sugar last.

Mix to a creamy consistency.

Pour over graham crackers and spread evenly.

Chill in fridge for 24 hours. This last step is one of the most important - you need to allow time for the graham crackers to soften so you're left with creamy, yummy goodness. You don't want a crunchy desert.

It's just that simple!

Enjoy! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.